Course name: Week-Long Intensive English Course for First Grade Elementary School Teachers
The course is a series of loosely related seminars aimed to refresh and deepen the methodical competences of first grade English teachers. Activities will include a variety of methods, strategies, and teaching techniques that can be used immediately as children enter the first grade. Participants will have room for creative work in the seminars, which will lead to the creation of working manuals on how to proceed in class; as well as the creation of their own worksheets. Teaching will take place through exchanges, discussions, group work, and individual work, and will be accompanied by active presentations, self-reflection and feedback from the participants as well as the lecturer. Participants will also get acquainted with available learning and supplementary materials, web portals, and free online materials.
Participants in the course will:
– Identify and describe learning styles, approaches and methods.
– Identify teaching activities to develop diverse learning styles and design different learning strategies.
– Engage in group discussions on possible pitfalls and the differences between their respective the school environments.
– Assess the adequacy of freely available songs, stories and language games, and judge their suitability for developing language and pupils’ skills.
– Assess the difficulty and focus of the learning materials, examine their strengths and weaknesses, and evaluate their suitability for the development of language and pupils’ skills.
– Set CLIL goals for topics according to their own focus and their school’s focus and select their appropriate form of application.
– Develop and discuss specific activities aimed at developing language skills and knowledge and then analyze their effectiveness.
– Share the activities created with other participants during discussions, or online.
– Learn how to lead pupils to constructive work focused on error-evaluation, self-reflection and self-evaluation.
Minimum Entry level: A2
Number of lessons: 30
Dates: to be specified
Class Time: to be specified
Example activities from copied materials
Cambridge Copy Collection Primary Boxes: Activity, Communication, Curriculum, Music, Grammar, Pronunciation, Vocabulary, Reading;
- Puchta, M. Williams, Teaching Young Learners to Think, Helbling / Cambridge, 2011;
Oxford Resource Books for Teachers, series editor A. Maley: Art and Crafts with Children, Games for Children, Creating Chants and Songs, Writing with children.
– Diagnostics of pupils and their learning styles, Bloom’s taxonomy, and its application when leading differentiated work in class
– Multisensory teaching
– The language system, presentation, scope and practice of language skills for young pupils
– Presentation and storytelling
– CLIL method, adaptation of principles taking into account participants’ interests
– Work with textbooks / teaching materials and their possible adaptation
– Processing and displaying one´s own activities
– Evaluation, self-reflection, experience and knowledge exchange
Price: 5.790 CZK