Visa instructions

Visa is required for all non-EU foreign lecturers.

We suggest you apply for Schengen short term visa allowing an up to 90 day stay (visa for the purpose of employment).
The visa is issued by the Czech diplomatic missions (embassy, consulate) or another Schengen state and entitles its holder to stay within the territory of the Czech Republic/Schengen area for the period indicated in the visa.
If the diplomatic mission is not competent to accept the application, it is entitled to refer you to a different appropriate diplomatic mission.

Schengen (short-term) visa for the purpose of employment – visa application requirements:

Supporting documents may generally not be older than 180 days, except for the travel document, registry documents and photograph corresponding current appearance. Police of the Czech Republic may at its own discretion request presentation of the relevant supporting documents, incl. proof of travel medical insurance, during the passport control.

Time limit for processing of visa applications
Application for a Schengen (short-term) visa can be submitted within 3 months of the planned trip. Applications are in most cases reviewed within 7-15 days. In individual cases, the review period can be extended up to 30 days and in exceptional cases up to 60 days. It is recommended not to submit a visa application later than 15 days before the trip, as it cannot be otherwise guaranteed it will be reviewed in time. Holders of multiple Schengen (short-term) visa can file a visa application before this visa has expired, provided it has been valid for at least 6 months.

More information can be found at:

Section: “Information for Foreigners” or at the Czech embassy in your country.

Information for U.S. citizens residing in the USA
According to the information from the Czech Embassy in Los Angeles, USA, U.S. citizens residing in the USA may be exempted from the personal presence when submitting the visa application. If this is your case, we recommend you to call the Embassy where you intend to submit the visa application and ask about this possibility.